Thursday, October 20, 2011

What's a Hokie?

Ever since moving to Dallas from Virginia about a year ago, I have finally realized what it is like to live in a pro market.  It is incredible.  I can just decide to head out to a baseball or football game whenever my heart desires.  Now, I’ll get into the price of sports at some time later, but I am thoroughly enjoying the opportunity.  In the past year I have lived in the city that hosted the World Series (twice), Super Bowl, and NBA Finals.  I have seen the Cowboys, Stars, and Rangers all play in person.  But, the problem with all this is that fans of professional sports can never compete with the fans of college teams.  Pro Fans, just don’t seem to get it most of the time.  I actually SAT DOWN during the entire Cowboys game! That is unheard of during College sports! As a matter of fact, I have never sat down during live action of the first three quarters of Virginia Tech football game.  EVER! All I’m trying to say is that it seems to me that there are people who are fans of professional sports but then there are people who live college sports. 
A college team can become an identity, whereas a pro team will rarely reach that stage.  I am a Hokie and not a Cowboy, Ranger or Brave.  You might be a Cavalier, Longhorn, Wolverine, or Tar Heel.  But I don’t know anyone who would call themselves a Redskin, Red Sox or Laker.  It just doesn’t happen that way; and that’s why college sports have always been and always will be superior.  There is much more risk in being a fan of a college team; when my team loses, I lose… But, when my team wins, it is without a doubt worth the reward. 
That being said, I love all things sports and for the past several years I have thought that the best job in the world would be to be a Sports Analyst.  You get to watch sports for your job, you can meet the people you “idolize” and finally, and maybe most importantly, people will take your horribly biased ideas and thoughts way more seriously.  Now, because I don’t have a degree or credentials and I can’t really just hop onto football fields whenever I want.  So, I’ve conceded to starting a blog where I plan to write about just about everything from the sporting world that I find interesting.  I will write a bunch of opinion on recent games and what I saw with them.  I also want to try my hand at picking games and see where that goes.  I just want to use this as an outlet for my love of all things sports!  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment