Friday, October 21, 2011

College Football Picks: Week 8

We’ll see how this goes, but for now I think I’ll pick the ACC games, top 25 match-ups and a few of the games that seem to be popular around the internets:
Virginia Tech over Boston College – Not sure there should be much debate here on this one.  BC is bad this year and any team that loses to both Duke and Northwestern (who is actually decent this year, but more on that and my man crush on Dan Persa later) just can’t come into Lane Stadium and put up any sort of decent showing.  Also note that All-American CB Jayron Hosely is going to be out for the game, but I don’t think this will matter much against the 105th ranked scoring offense in FBS.  Look to Detrick Bonner to replace him.  Bonner had a decent game against Wake and should continue against a weak BC passing attack. 
Clemson over North Carolina – Clemson playing at home with a healthy Tajh Boyd coming of the spectacular comeback performance will win easily.  Boyd and Clemson impressed me last week with their heroics (Boyd has 4 TDs in the game), but I still wonder if they are just the same old un-clutch Clemson team.  I do think that Clemson will struggle again this season before the ACC championship game.  Look out for GT next week in Atlanta. 
Wake over Duke – I’m not basing this on much other than Duke history and their inability to ever get any better at football.  I mean they lost to Richmond… AGAIN!
Florida State over Maryland – Barely! Florida State is giving 18 points to Maryland in most books and I could see MD and their atrocious unis making this a one possession game.  EJ Manual looks to be slightly back on track, but this team never deserved their top 5 ranking to begin with.
UVA over NC State – UVA has finally found ways to win football games.  Mike London has his team poised to finally be able to compete with VT again.  (Thank God! It’s just sad to beat up the wimpy kid…) Last week’s win over GT amazed me, but looking at UVA’s schedule this year, they have been close in every game and I see them improving.  Hopefully they don’t have a letdown at home. 
Miami over GT – I saw major flaws exposed in GT by UVA last week and Miami is a better team.  I’d look for this game to be close and think Miami pulls in out in the end.  Jacory impressed me against VT and looked good again against UNC.  This one comes down the final possession.
Now for the three matchups between top 25 teams:
LSU over Auburn – Even without their 3 suspended players, LSU at home is just too good.  I don’t think Auburn is deserving of their ranking and will struggle mightily.  They have the 106th ranked passing offense!
Stanford over Washington – No real reason, don’t follow the west coast teams… But Stanford plays smart and will find a way to win.
Wisconsin over Michigan State – I have always believed that the secret to success in football is in the quality of your offensive line.  Wisconsin is huge up front and despite the quality of MSU’s defense, Russell Wilson’s consistency and the quality of Wisconsin’s running game will win in the end. 
A few others:
Oklahoma State over Missouri – Missouri is going to be a lot better than people expect in this game.  This will be the best defense that OKState has faced this year; Mizzou has only allowed 7 TD’s passing all year (that’s 21st in the country).  Also, the game is in Columbia and after seeing how the Cowboys struggled in Austin last week; this will be a close one.  However, Papa Weeden will pull this one out (just like he did at A&M and UT). 
Northwester over Penn State – I LOVE DAN PERSA! He is one of the smartest football players I have ever seen play the game.  I know he has struggled in the past two weeks, but I’ll blame that on injury.  This game is at home and I just think Persa pulls it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment