Friday, August 31, 2012

Guest Post: Mrs. dallas hokie

In honor of the start of the College Football season, I figured it would be a good idea to let my wife share some witty banter and great insight on the upcoming season.  I have found her insight here to be pretty compelling and really like what she has to say.  Also, I need to give credit to the Pistol's Firing blog for the idea.  

This is post 1 of 2 so keep an eye out later for the second half later today.

1) Do you have anything to say before we get started? 

I attended and graduated from Oklahoma State University and loved all 4 years there. I merit the right to be extremely biased in their favor. I try to be as fair as I can, but you can’t help letting that bright orange, color your disposition.

2) I know you were a huge college football fan when you were in school.  During your time there, what was your favorite sports related memory?

When I was in college our football team wasn’t that great. The favorite game I ever went to was when we beat Kansas State (This was our Homecoming game, which is an over the top big deal at OSU) on a two-point conversion, in the last moments of the 4th quarter, to win 41-39. I thought I was going to throw up. Because our fans are a lot like Cubs fans: long-suffering, you build a lot of character and are really just waiting for the “Poke Choke” and for us to fart something away and then lose. It was a very exciting game. If it had ended the other way, our fan base would’ve gone to Joe’s and emotionally destroyed a thing of cheese fries and shared memories of Barry Sanders. I had more consistent, exciting sports memories from attending Cowgirl Soccer – those ladies are beastly good. So go support Cowgirl Soccer, Pokes.

Another favorite memory was the “I’m a Man, I’m 40” incident of 2007. Being a student during that time was a lot of fun. We had t-shirts everywhere with our Coach Gundy’s rant/famous slogan. As a student, I was so proud of our school and our coach who defended his program and his player. Sure, Bobby Reid ended up leaving OSU because he was embarrassed and really wasn’t that good, but hey – who doesn’t like a 40-year-old man ranting at the media whilst wearing a visor?



3) Pretty interesting year for OSU coming off a BCS win and reloading with a frosh at QB. What are you most excited about?

Ehem, our FIRST BCS game, paired with our FIRST BCS win. Let’s not forget that; we won that tacky, Bedazzled Fiesta Bowl trophy with pride. Todd Monken, our offensive coordinator, is a beast. He’s mouthy and brassy – probably two of my favorite attributes. We had such an explosive offense last year, which was so fun to watch. And when you win that much, it’s fun to watch, too. So I’m just looking forward to how Monken develops our new offense without Weeden or Blackmon. I’m just excited to see how we develop as a team in a noticeable rebuilding year. Plus, the CFB world is finally watching Oklahoma State as a contender. That’s pretty exciting stuff.

4) Rank these players in order of your favorite to least favorite and tell me why: Weeden, Dez, Zac, Blackmon, Barry Sanders, Joe Randle, and Justin Gilbert.  Feel free to add a “wild card” player if you would like.

Barry Sanders – I mean. Duh. Our only Heisman winner, so naturally he goes to the top of the list. He is talked about in hushed, reverent tones in Stillwater, OK.

Blackmon – Obviously, guy has some troubs with leaving the bottle alone, but two-time Biletnikoff winner? No explanation necessary.

Weeden – Say whatever you will about his age/baseball career, etc. But he’s a solid dude and what I consider our most consistent QB. For a while it seemed like he shattered a QB record at OSU a week. Beast.

Broderick Brown/Jamie Blatnick/Basically our whole defense – Naturally, I think our defense is underrated. Big 12 defense is pretty terrible usually overall. We have excellent offense so most team’s defense kind of hits the skids. But Broderick Brown and his pals with all those INT’s in 2011. Holy smokes. This is also discussed in hushed, reverent tones. This clip is from our 2010 Bedlam (That’s the name we give to when we play OU) game. We lost this one, but this should have been a warning that our defense would become a ‘No-Fly Zone.’ Pretty epic stuff:


(Editor Note: Check out the hit put on Broyles after the INT!)

Joe Randle – Okay, here’s where I let my girl show: He is totes presh. He has the cutest dimples and smile (Second only to you, dear one). Brass tacks: he scored 150 points during the 2011 season. WHAT. That’s nasty. It’s second only to Barry Sanders 234 points. This is a dude to watch. Plus, he is a running back. I don’t know why, but I just have an affinity for them.

Kendall Hunter – I loved watching ‘Spud’ in college. Short and brassy and on average rushed for over 30 yards a game. Beast. He was an outstanding player that got to shine even more after Dez left. He was incredible at OSU and definitely didn’t get enough of the recognition that he deserved. And, you guessed it, he’s a running back.

Justin Gilbert – Quick kiddo. I don’t really watch him that much or know enough about him to appreciate him or put him closer to the top, but he is FAST. Which I love. My team plays in the Big 12, so we love that quick-ness. Or at least I do.

Zac Robinson – He was the QB that instilled excitement in all of us sad fans. He did an okay job, but he’s not really a favorite for me. He was just there and was a pretty exciting/productive QB. But now, he pales next to Weeden. At the time, we thought he was the best. And then we got the best and it was all like “Zac, who?”

Dez – I loved him in college, and loved watching him do kickoff returns for a TD (I once saw a 89 yard TD from him. WHAT) and cried outrageous-ness at the NCAA when he was suspended. But now that I’m older, I think he’s a dweeb. He is talented, yes. And he’s annoying and pompous, too. That combo cheeses me off. So I think I don’t like him on moral grounding. Whoops.

That's all for now, later I will ask Mrs. dallas hokie for her thoughts on the rest of college football for the coming year!

Check out the College Football Preview Week Posts while you wait!


1) Conference Race Projections
2) BSC Bowl Projections
3) Power Rankings
4) Week 1 Picks

No comments:

Post a Comment